Sunday, March 31, 2013

Taper Time!

No Matter What

All the hard work is in. Now I get to cut back on the mileage. This is the time where foam rolling, chair  and self massages, and epsom salt baths are in order. No crazy Crossfit workouts. For the next three weeks, I'll start to visualize running the Boston Marathon. The book "26 Miles To Boston" is helping me picture the course with a bit of marathon history. So far, the description given to me by one of my high school distance coaches, Tim Keegan, is right on.

I was also forced to run on the treadmill on the weekdays due to the gym floor at the Y, which is below the track, being sanded and resurfaced. I really don't care for the treadmill but I sucked it up and got the work done. No matter what, I am grateful to be able to run again. I am grateful that the inflammation in my foot is gone. I really believe it was God's way of slowing me down or forcing me to take a week off from running. I strongly believe that I will do great on April 15th. But, as an athlete, I know that anything can happen on race day. It's all going to depend on the weather and how I physically feel that day.

Tuesday, I picked up from where I left off prior to being injured. I ran ten minutes easy to begin. Then I inserted 3x1600 meters at a 7:47min/mi. I completed the session with an easy pace run. 1 hr and 10 minute run= 7miles. I felt pretty good.

Wednesday, was a big day. I had my second and final fundraiser. I decided to take a rest day. I needed to relax for the night's event, but I was also feeling a bit sore from the running session on Tuesday. What a great night! I roughly made $900 for DFMC. I am so grateful to my friends and family for showing me so much love. The Comedy Works in Albany, NY rocked! What a great place to go and enjoy some great talented comedians.

I woke up Thursday morning exhausted. I got myself in gear and headed to the YMCA to run. I began my treadmill run with an easy 10 minute mile for 30 minutes. At 30 minutes, I turned up the pace to an 8 minute mile pace for 30 minutes. I was supposed to run the last half of the session for 40 minutes, but my legs felt tired. My body felt tired. So, I cut the session 10 minutes short. I felt so guilty for cutting it short but I had to go with how my body was feeling at that time. I have to keep reminding myself that you become stronger when you get the proper rest and recovery. Not when you are actually doing the workout. The workout breaks your muscles down. Rest and recovery build them back up stronger.

Another rest day on Friday.

I got my first taper miles in on Saturday morning. I ran for 2 hours or 13.25 at 9:03 minute mile. I did pretty good keeping my pace between 9 and 9 1/2 minute mile pace. Pace is going to make or break me during the marathon. I know if I go out to fast, I am going to have a miserable race. If I take control of my pace and don't let it control me, I will feel fantastic and have an awesome race. Or at least I hope so. Saturday's run was great. The sun felt great on my face. Running in the sun = a very happy me. I never imagined running and enjoying any distance races EVER. I just ran a half-marathon at an easy pace! 9:03 avg pace is an easy pace?? This didn't happen over night. I've been working on it for several years. From sprinter to distance runner. Never imagined that happening. The only thing that bothered me a bit on Saturday was my sore muscles. I have to make sure I have NO sore muscles when I toe the starting line on April 15th.



With only 14 days left until the Boston Marathon, I have raised over $7100! Thank you to all that have donated. If you would like to support my run and cause please visit my personal web page at:
wwwrunDFMC.org/2013/sheilac

Thank you in advance for your support and encouragement!

Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment