Monday, March 25, 2013

Back on Track!

This past week I got back on track with my training, but not before I paid my orthopedic a visit. I already saw my podiatrist and he said all was fine with my foot. The podiatrist cleared me to run but told me the best thing to do was rest. Seeking a second opinion, the orthopedic said the exact same thing. Nothing was torn nor broken BUT I shouldn't run until the pain was gone. I saw the orthopedic on Monday morning and that night, the pain was totally gone! Tuesday I woke up and the pain was still gone, but I still didn't run. I decided to have a few pain-free days before I started running again. This didn't mean that I wouldn't get my sweat on. I jumped on the stationary bicycle and rode for 60 minutes. Oh, how I wanted to go on the track and run... but I knew it wasn't a good idea, so I didn't.

Wednesday, I did some cross training. My foot felt great still! I planned on running Thursday.

Thursdays are usually marathon pace days on the track. It was difficult to imagine that I could hold a fast pace for 80 minutes since I missed a whole week of training. I told myself, "just do what you can and if you have to slow down, then so be it." I felt great and managed to hold pace for the entire session. It was also a great opportunity for me to run in the gear I'm going to wear during the marathon.



Training in race day gear


Of course, I paid for it on Friday and Saturday. My foot wasn't the issue any longer. On Friday, I was sore from Thursday's track session. I decided to do nothing on Friday. That being said, I knew Saturday would be difficult; the day I ran my third and final 20 miler.

During my 20 miler on Saturday, I prayed that my foot wouldn't act up. And, it didn't. The only issues I had on the run was the soreness from Thursday's marathon pace session. My muscles got so tight. Especially my hamstrings. I knew it wasn't my lack of hydration or fueling. I should have ran on Sunday instead. I should have allowed my muscles to recover from Thursday's workout. Still, I managed to average 8:45 minute-miles for 20 miles. Finishing my last 20 miler in 2:55:16!

Physically and mentally, I am so ready for the Boston Marathon. Now all I have to do is stay healthy for the next two weeks. Staying healthy will be key to getting to the starting line. Once I'm at the starting line there will be no stopping me. I will fight to finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment