Monday, March 11, 2013

Feeling strong!

I started my week on Tuesday with a speed workout on the track. I had my doubts because I ran a fast 16 miles the Sunday before. The total workout lasted one hour and fifteen minutes. It started with an easy pace for 10 minutes, then followed by 4x1200 meters with a 400 meter job in between. The rest of the time was done at an easy pace to complete the session. I did it! I didn't feel too beat up from the fast 16 miles.

Wednesdays are tough for me because I stay home. So between the speed work on Tuesday and marathon pace on Thursday, it's getting easier to convince myself to take an additional day off. But, I wouldn't allow that little voice in my head to tell me not to get up and move. I decided it was a good yoga day. My body needed that.

Every Thursday is marathon pace. It started with an easy pace for the first 25 minutes, followed by 60 minutes at marathon pace. Every week, the easy pace at the beginning of the session has progressively gone down while the marathon pace time has gone up. I am so amazed at what my body is capable of doing. I shouldn't be surprised, though. For the past nine weeks, I've been building up my endurance and speed. I guess the amazing part is seeing the progress that I'm making.

On Friday, my foot was achy. Actually, my foot hasn't felt right since Tuesday night. It felt as if I sprained it. But when and how?? The aching was off and on. There was no swelling and my foot did not hurt to the touch. It wasn't a constant ache or pain, so I stayed cognizant of it, but kept on my running schedule. It was a cross training day, so I decided to take the day off from running. This is always the time in my training where I become worried about injury due to the intensity of the training.

My ankle felt pretty good on Saturday. I cycled on the stationary bicycle for 30 minutes. I followed it with a made up workout of 10 Burpees, 20 push presses, 10 push ups, and 1 minute planks for 3 rounds. After, my ankle still felt pretty good.

Sunday run day! 20 miles or 3 hours and 10 minutes, whichever came first. Just after 7 am, I set out on my journey. Unlike the last few weekend runs, it was not snowing, raining or gloomy. The sun was out! That alone made me such a happy person. I decided that when I reached the end of Phillips Rd at route 9/20, I would double back. Route 9/20 has been a mess with the snow and dirtiness. Along my journey I felt good. My pace: mile 1( 8:57), mile 2 (8:56), mile 3 (8:55), mile 4 (8:37), mile 5 (8:25), mile 6 (8:24), mile 7 (8:27), mile 8 (8:43), mile 9 (8:44), mile 10 (8:42), mile 11 (8:30), mile 12 (8:47), mile 13 (8:58), mile14 (8:52), mile 15 (8:49), mile 16 (8:33), mile 17 (9:27), mile 18 (9:27), mile 19 (9:40), mile 20 (10:02). Not bad, I felt strong until my ankle pain grew stronger and stronger. I refused to stop running. It hurt but not enough to stop me. Of course I paid for it after, but that didn't matter. I mentally fought through those last miles and that's what I will do on marathon Monday... fight! Time for some much deserved and needed rest.

Ready for Boston


A bit swollen after 20

No comments:

Post a Comment