Monday, March 4, 2013

Six Weeks Left Until Boston!

On Tuesday, my week started with a one hour and fifteen minute track workout. It consisted of a 10 minute easy run, followed by 5x800 meters with a 400 meter jog in between. The rest of the time was completed at an easy pace. I was so relieved to be able to complete this session. I had my doubts that I could finish it. After running twenty miles on Sunday, I wasn't sure my body was recovered enough to do a speed workout. But, to my surprise, I felt good. My body is adapting and responding positively to the speed workouts.

Tapout XT workout on Wednesday! I just love this type of cross training. It is a total body workout without putting any stress on my running muscles. I know I am a better runner because I work those non-running muscles. Sometimes, I'm not sure how I have the energy to do it. Honestly, my mind tries to convince me to take a rest day rather than a cross training day. But, I fight that little voice in my head. Especially if my body feels recovered.

Thirty Five minute easy run followed by a fifty minute marathon pace on Thursday. Thursdays are starting to get very tough. Mentally tough. The indoor track for marathon pacing is getting to me. It's not the ideal place to do such a run, but I have no other options. Suck it up, buttercup, I am happy to be able to run. Knowing this makes it a bit easier to deal with it.

Friday, for some reason, I felt stressed and unhappy. A good crossfit type of day. It was just what I needed. Five rounds of 3 rope ascending, 10 knees to elbows, 21 lunges w/ 45lb plate over head and 400 meter run. Five rounds of this equaled 12 reps of rope ascending, 50 reps of knees to elbows, 105 reps of lunges and 1.25 mile run! Yup, I loved it on Friday and paid for it on Saturday.

So on Saturday, I felt the affects of Off White. Which was the name of the workout I completed on Friday. Some foam rolling and message was it for that day.

March 1st! Which means spring is around the corner. So why is it that mother nature waits for the weekend to snow?! I get my runs done... but cut me a break! I know I shouldn't complain, I do live in the Northeast. And, we all know that it can snow in March, April, and even May. Plain and simple, just run!

I went off on a 2 hr and 30 minute run or 16 miles, which ever came first. It snowed the entire time on my run. I could see the sun behind the clouds, but it was not going to make an appearance. The clouds were way too thick. My thighs were still a bit sore from Friday's cruel crossfit workout, but still not sore enough to keep me from my long run. There was light snow and visibility wasn't too bad. I decided to run out and back. The last few long runs I've done were loops which have put me out on route 9&20. Route 9&20 sucks to run on in the winter. Throughout the run, I hit some good hills. What I liked the most about this run is that I hit hills in the beginning, middle and at the end of my run. That keeps my quads alert, in check and challenged. I think I was trying to outrun the snow and the wind. I finished 16 miles in 2 hours 19 minutes and 4 seconds. 8:42 minute mile pace. The fastest 16 training miles every! I am so ready for Boston.

No matter the weather...


Thank you for stopping by,

Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment