Monday, February 25, 2013

Over the Half Way Point

Training Week of Feb 18th-24th

Like most weeks, I started it off with a rest and recovery day on Monday. I cannot stress how important a rest day is. And, sometimes I find myself taking an additional rest day. That's exactly what I did this past week. After Tuesday's track workout, I took Wednesday off. The 6x800meters that I ran kicked my ass. I felt so guilty for taking Wednesday off but I had to listen to my body and rest.

I ran 45 minutes easy to start and then ran 40 minutes at marathon pace on Thursday. Marathon pace on an indoor track is pure torture.

I completed a legs and back workout on Friday. I felt a bit beat up by the end of the week, so I made sure to foam roll and self massage. Especially my hips... they were (and still are) pretty knotted up.

I enjoyed a 30 minute stationary cycle ride on Saturday with a variation of push ups and upper body moves for 60 minutes, which kept my heart rate up.

On Sunday, I woke at 6am and by 7am, I set out for a 3:10hr run or 20miles. Which ever came first. The temp was perfect for a long run. There was a light misty rain coming down and at about 1hr 30min into my run, the light rain changed over to a light snow. I was so focused that I was oblivious to the weather. I felt good and my stomach was solid. Stomach issues were no more. It was the perfect opportunity to get my fueling routine right. About 13.45 miles into the run, I was running on uneven &  semi frozen ground. I caught myself once as I almost slipped. It was the last thing I needed... to twist an ankle or worse. My pace slowed from all the zigging and zagging I had to do. But, 20 miles came at 3:01:04! I was thrilled to have had average a 9:03 minute mile for 20miles! I had just under nine minutes to spare. And to think I still have two more 20 milers in my training schedule. I had friends tell me they were jealous of the 20 miles I ran. That made me smile. Sunday, I did this:



1 comment: