Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tough Runs= Strong Runner

Week of Feb 12th-16th, 2013

What a rough week it was. It began Tuesday with a one hour and fifteen minute run. The session consisted of a ten minute run at an easy pace. At ten minutes, I ran 400 meters (8 times) with 200 meter jog in between. The remainder of the time was completed at an easy pace. My stomach was not feeling 100%. This past Saturday, I ate something at lunch time that did not agree with me. And still, days later, my stomach felt as if it had a few bricks in it. But I toughed the session out and finished.

Wednesday, it was Plyo XT, which was a whole lot of lunging and squatting. I felt great while I was preforming the high number of lunges and squats, but my hip started to feel sore as night fell. All I could do was hope that I would not be too sore for my track session the next day.

Yup... my hip was sore on Thursday, just as I thought it would be. It wasn't sore enough to side line me, so off to the indoor track I went. I ran 55 minutes at an easy pace and then 30 minutes at marathon pace. Somewhere during the marathon pace, I lost track of time and actually ran for 35 minutes. My stomach felt awful. But, I refused to let my stomach issues take me out. These are the times where I have to dig in and just suck it up because anything can happen during the marathon. Not feeling 100% is good practice. The awfulness in my stomach felt much better when the Boston Athletic Associations gave a sneak peak of this....



On Friday, I cycled for 50 minutes. Afterward, I stretched, foam rolled and self massaged my hips with a lacrosse ball. I was sore but felt pretty good.

I usually do my long runs on Sunday, but Saturday was the better day last weekend. So I ran on Saturday. After I leisurely awoke and made breakfast for myself and my family, I set off for a 2.5hr run or 16 miles, which ever came first. It was cold and windy but I felt good. My stomach felt fine. At 40 minutes, I took in fuel and washed it down with some EFS mixed into my water. As I approached the half way time of 1hr and 15 minutes, my stomach began to knot up. Thankfully, there was a gas station along the route and I was able to make a pit-stop. I continued on my journey, which got tougher. Because my stomach wasn't feeling great, I cut back on the fuel intake. This was not a good thing because I started feeling sluggish. Again, I just hung on and kept running. I felt so miserable. All I wanted to do was get home. I managed to run 16 miles in 2hours, 29minutes and 17seconds. I've never been so happy to get home.

Here's hoping for a better next week!

Thanks for stopping by,

Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment