Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A week of Cross Training

Cross training was not the way I wanted to start my training week. But, that's exactly what happened. I had this nagging ache/pain right where the fibula attaches to the ligaments of my foot. Why does this have to happen to me just five weeks until the Boston Marathon? I've poured my heart and soul into the marathon training. I've made sure to take care of my body before, during and after ALL of my runs. So why??

I completed a fifty minute workout on the stationary bicycle on Tuesday and Thursday with no complaints. Still... I'd rather be running. More than anything, having to substitute my runs became a mental game. One that I don't like to play. It feels as if I'm losing endurance every day that I don't run. I'm sure that is not the case, but my mind doesn't know this. This isn't the first time I've had to take a break during training for a marathon. But, still, it plays a mind blowing head game with me.

On Wednesday, I decided to pay the podiatrist a visit. My right foot is still achy so I must rule out any real injury. All is well! The doctor took an X-ray and there were no broken bones nor torn ligaments. He cleared me to run but advised me to rest. So, I decided to rest my foot.

Skipping my long run on Sunday was depressing for me. I am hopeful that my foot will be better in time for Boston. I will be in Boston no matter what. And, I will toe that starting line. It will probably not be my best performance but I will finish.

1 comment:

  1. I know it sucks but, honestly, it could end up being the best thing for your training. Sometimes your body just forces you into a longer rest, right when you need it -- and even though you don't realize you need it!

    Try your best to embrace the rest and cross training, knowing that your body is taking the opportunity to restore itself!

    ReplyDelete