Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A cold week 5 is history


I started off my week with a 60 minute cross training day on Monday, January 21st. Tapout XT's plyo (leg workout) smoked me. I love work outs that... simply put... kick my ass!

Tuesday: back on the track. With the temperature in the negative degrees, I gladly ran inside for 1:15:00 with not one complaint. My time equaled 7.5 miles. Later in the day, I went to Crossfit Beyond for the third week of strength training. Squats and bench presses. Which, by the way is going amazingly great.

Back in the basement on Wednesday for a 60 minute Tapout XT's legs and back workout. Yup, more legs. It's all about strong legs for this girl. If I'm going to be blessed with big thighs, then they need to be big and strong and toned. Just saying!

More base mile building on Thursday. Another 1:15:00 / 7.5 miles. Then it was off to Crossfit Beyond for some strength building dead lifts and over head shoulder presses. I have one more week of base mile and strength training workouts. Then I'll drop the strength training and focus my weekday running on speed work and marathon pace training.

Friday: I was able to squeeze in a 40 minute cross training workout. I randomly picked an exercise for each body part. Some times, I like going into the gym and doing what ever crazy exercises pop into my head. "What are we going to do next?" Gotta keep the body guessing.

I woke up on Saturday to NO alarm clock. So nice. After breakfast, it was back to the basement for "The Biggest Loser" workout. I love variety. Mixing it up keeps me engaged. And, as long as your heart rate is up and you are moving, who cares if it's on the wii or if it's running up and down a basketball court?! What ever, where ever... just keep it moving bitches!

Sunday, January 27th: I woke up and made breakfast for my family. I ate a bagel with peanut butter and jelly and had a cup of coffee. The sun was shining outside but I knew it would still be pretty cold. It was truly the first really cold run of the year for me, but I have the right gear to go out. Sunday's run was a run in memory of the Sandy Hook victims. That whole incident still seems surreal to me.

I set out for my run just before 10am. I set my garmin for two hours. Two hours has to equal 13.1 miles. In order to get the 13.1 miles, I have to run at least a 9 minute mile pace. The first mile (or so) is always the toughest because I'm trying to get into a rhythm. A pace and breathing rhythm. Once I got comfortable with my pace and my breathing, I started to coast. I hit some pretty big hills. But, I kept pace and continued on the journey. It was a good time to practice fueling during the run. I pretty much keep with the same fueling practices because they work best for me. I also brought raisins for a quick burst of energy/sugar. I felt pretty good during the run... but, with about a mile and half left, the tops of my calves started to cramp up. There was no way I was going to stop, so I slowed my pace. I knew that I would get the 13.1 miles in. My garmin went off telling me that I had completed my run.

Finishing time
Before my run

No comments:

Post a Comment