Saturday, June 30, 2012

Time to Heal and Move On Part 2

So, now it's time to focus on ING NYC Marathon. I have to forget about my last performance in Boston. Did I forget to mention in my last post that I also was having tightness in my right hamstring? The tightness was partly because of the Plica and mostly because I did not stretch often enough. Training for  the marathon was underway. I struggled with my right hamstring but manage to get through all my runs. Then about six weeks out, September 4th to be exact, I was involved in a car accident. Thankfully, I was not seriously hurt. I did suffer a sprained ankle. I jogged a lot in the pool during the week and managed to keep running my long runs on the weekend. I refused to let the Plica, the tight hamstring, and the sprained ankle get in the way of running my first, my dream marathon.


I made it to the start and finish line of my first, my dream marathon. What an experience! What a rush! Even my husband and children joined in on what is one of the biggest marathons of all marathons. Above, my husband sharing a beer with a marathoner at mile 21. A runner asked him for a beer because of the carbohydrates.... so, he thought if one runner wanted some, maybe more runners would like a carb boost. About 20 runners stopped and had beers with him! Maybe Corona will endorse me next time?

 Finally, I could let go of that breath that I was holding most of the year. I finished my first ever marathon. I struggled with running in 2011. And, despite finishing a half marathon in May and a full marathon in November, I felt... like crap. I started the year hurt and that hurt never really disappeared. It nagged me throughout training. My weight crept up on me. Time to learn and grow from my experience. Now with two years of running under my belt, I could compare what worked and what didn't. I vowed not to make the same mistakes again, and, I haven't!

No comments:

Post a Comment