Sunday, June 17, 2012

Time to Heal and Move On Part 1

Well, it is 2011 and I now know that I have Plica Syndrome. I am aware that the only thing that will heal me is time. So, for the first three months of the year, I did not run! In March I began training for the Boston's Run to Remember half marathon. I struggled in the first few weeks; still feeling some discomfort. But, I got through twelve weeks of training and made it to the starting line in May. In the back of my mind, I still held onto the success I had in 2010 and was disappointed in myself when I finished in just over two hours. Yes, I know many of you will say, "that's great, you finished!" Well, considering that two miles into the race... I suffered stomach distress. It was the worst feeling ever. At mile three I hit the Porta-potty. I was never happier to see one of those things in my life. So I continued on what felt like the longest race ever. On the way to the finish line, everything imaginable bothered me. The gel from my hair running into my eyes stung so bad. The music in my ears became noise. This is my punishment for changing my routine the morning of my race. My legs felt so heavy. In two hours and three minutes it would all be over! I felt like crap at first but then the more I think about it, I could have quit at mile two but I didn't. I took care of business, adjusted my goal, and kept  running to the finish line. Not my best finish, but crossed the timing strip despite all the things that bothered me during the race. And, most importantly, it taught me not to change ANYTHING the morning of race day. It's over. Time to put it in the past and keep moving ahead. Now time to focus on the ING NYC Marathon 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment