Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Great Start Ends Bad

When I began my running in 2010, I never dreamed that it would lead to running a marathon. I started running to lose baby fat! Not to run anything over a 5k. So gradually in 2010 I went from a 5k to 15k to my first half marathon with ease. At the end of the fall running season I became a member of the Hudson Mohawk Road Runners Club. I decide to run the clubs winter series to keep motivated through the cold season. So I ran the first winter series 15k in the freezing rain! What an awful experience! With that awful day came an injury to my right knee ;(. I was in a lot of pain. I thought for sure I tore something. After a month of waiting, I final had my day at the the orthopedic. He examine me and took an X-ray. He said in laymen's term that I had Knee Plica syndrome.
What is plica syndrome of the knee?
The plica on the inner side of the knee, called the "medial plica," is the synovial tissue most prone to irritation and injury. When the knee is bent, the plica is exposed to direct injury, and it may also be injured in overuse syndromes. When the plica becomes irritated and inflamed, the condition called "plica syndrome" results. Anti-inflammatory and ice for this girl. And, no running! Oh no! This how I ended my great year in 2010.
Stay tune...

No comments:

Post a Comment