Monday, July 22, 2013

Post Boilermaker 15k

As always, it was a hot Boilermaker 15k race. July 14th was a hot and humid day as I set out on a 9.1 mile run to the finish line... and to the cold BEER that awaited me! I didn't set any new PR's. I actually ran a bit slower this year. The hot and humid weather beat me up that day. I felt as if my insides were on fire the whole entire race. I was pretty hydrated, but it just didn't help my performance. So I took in the fanfare. I finished the race in 1:22:47 and that's what counted, that I finished. Sometimes I have to forget about time and PR's and just finish.

In the week after the Boilermaker 15k, I felt pretty good. I wasn't sore from the race. I took Monday off. On Tuesday, I got back on track with my running. I ran an easy 5 miles on the indoor track. But, my right heel once again was bothering me. By Wednesday, the tendonitis in my right heel made me very uncomfortable. So, I cross trained on Wednesday and Thursday. I took Friday and Saturday off. I knew that if I wanted to run a Sunday long run, rest and letting my tendonitis subside was important. I have three big races on my schedule this year. I will be running the Adirondack Marathon in September, the Mohawk Hudson 1/2 marathon in October, and the Philly Marathon in November. It's very important to work around my tendonitis and not let it get in the way of my running. 

My Sunday long run lasted 2hrs... or 12.56 miles. My tendonitis...what tendonitis?! I felt great. I took my time and enjoyed all of the sounds of nature. I ran into a few Strong Running Mamas not once but twice. I ran by a couple of deer, saw some cows and hit some BIG hills on the way. And, might I add, the apples are coming in pretty nicely at the orchard. What can I say... I love my country runs.
Hill on Brookview Sta




The cows on Brookview Rd


The hill on Brookview Rd









As far as my tendonitis is concerned, I have gone on a "no grain" way of eating. I don't like to call it a diet. It's a life style change. My hopes are that all of my internal inflammation will subside. Hence, goodbye tendonitis. I will try anything before surgery. No, I am not crazy for going on a Paleo way of eating with all the long distances I run. As a matter of fact I felt great during my long run on Sunday. My body is doing what it's supposed to be doing - using its fat reserves for energy.



Thank you for stopping by,

Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment