Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Post Boston's Run to Remember

Amy and me
On Saturday, May 25th, I went back to Boston to run the "Boston's Run to Remember" half marathon held on Sunday morning, along with my friend Amy. This half marathon was special. It was a tribute to fallen officers. When Amy and I arrived, we went to the expo to pick up our bibs and met up with seven of our fellow officers. We all went to Boston to run the race as the Albany, NY Police Running Club.

Albany PD running club
After the expo, we jumped on the subway and headed out to Boylston Street. I had not been on Boylston St. since April 15th. Walking down the same path I took on that day sent chills up my spine, but I was ok. It was good to see so many people walking up and down the street. The same street that had been terrorized on marathon Monday was full of life.

We made our way past the finish line to the memorial. While at the memorial, I left the sneakers I wore on April 15th...this is were they belong. I got teary-eyed, but my friend Amy was there to lean on. She was my rock that day.

My sneakers at the memorial
Sunday morning - my watch alarm went off at 4:50 am. It's race morning! This was the second race of the year for me and the first one since the Boston Marathon. Boy, was I nervous! It was my third time running this half marathon so I had set some goals.

First, I wanted to set a new personal record. Second, I wanted to place in the top three for the female law enforcement category. No pressure.



 As part of a law enforcement team, we got to start at the front of the pack. What a treat! The gun went off at 7am and we were off. Aside from the goals that I wanted to accomplish on Sunday, I decided that I would just run as hard as I could, and push myself as much as my body could stand. My garmin did not pick up a signal, so I just ran by feel.

My first mile was a 7:35 min mile. I told myself "that's to fast." I past the second mile mark at 15:15. This is where one of my fellow officers, Sgt. Rick Romand, caught up to me. From that point on, we would stick together and finish the race.

We past the 5k mark at 23:20. We began to pace ourselves at a 7:30 - 8:00 minute mile. We hit five miles at about 39:40. The next time clock I remembered seeing was at seven miles and the time on that was 57:45. Damn! We reached nine miles in just over 1:12. I thought, "Holy shit, I better PR at the Boilermaker 15k this year." From that point on, I don't remember seeing any other time clocks until I reach the finish.

After ten miles, I was just keeping pace with my partner and giving it everything I had. My breathing became grunting. I would not give in. With two miles to go, we may have slowed down some, but Rick and I kept charging. He kept saying to me "run boston strong!" Great motivational speech!

As we approached the finish line, I went into a full sprint. I could see the clock and I knew I would get my new personal record. Done in 1:45:49! 8:05 min/mile average.

Sprinting to the finish
I got my new personal record and a second place finish in the female law enforcement category. I accomplished both my goals. I was and still am so super happy. I utilized all the sadness and anger I have felt since the Boston bombings and left it on the pavement. I WILL KEEP RUNNING! I won't let anyone take that away from me. And, I am so proud of the men and women that are my second family; my Albany PD family. We all ran Boston Strong.

Love my finisher medal

2nd place female law enforcement award


                Thank you for stopping by,

                                Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment